My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is. ~ Ellen DeGeneres
The LIFE Study
LIFE is a research study designed to explore ways to help older adults improve their quality of life and remain independent.
How do I qualify for the LIFE Study?
You may qualify for the LIFE Study if:
- You are between 70 and 89 years old.
- You have trouble with daily physical activities such as walking, getting in and out of a chair or car, or climbing stairs.
- You are not involved in regular physical activity.
- You are not involved in any other research study involving lifestyle programs.
- You live within reasonable driving distance to Stanford University.
What will happen in the LIFE Study?
You will be assigned by chance to one of two helpful programs. Both groups will be in regular contact with our trained staff.
- One program will provide sessions on successful aging and flexibility training. If you are in this group, you will attend demonstrations and classes on topics such as nutrition, communication with health care professionals and foot care.
- The other program will provide help on how to be more physically active. If you are in this group, your training will include fitness, strength, flexibility and balance training.
How will this benefit me?
- You will have medical and functional screening exams at no cost to you.
- You get a chance to be in either a successful aging or a physical activity program led by trained staff. You may gain some valuable skills that you can use in your daily life.
- You will receive monetary compensation for your time when you complete your screening and follow up clinic visits.
How can I learn more about the LIFE Study?
- Call (650) 723-9530 and select Option 1 or toll-free (877) 232-5680 and select Option 1
- Email: email@example.com